top of page
Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)

The East Orange Housing Authority welcomes and appreciates all owners that participate in the Section 8 Rental Assistance Program (Section 8 Program). The goal of this agency is to ensure participants are provided safe, decent, and sanitary housing and with the cooperation of our owners/managers, this is a goal that will ultimately be met and succeeded.

The Housing Authority, landlords, and clients combine the whole to form the Section 8 Department. One could not survive without the other. We all must work together to maintain an understanding and partnership.

The Section 8 Program was formed in 1974 and has evolved into the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Today it is a rental assistance program where the tenant is to pay at least 30% and no more than 40% of their income towards rental payments.

Clients are selected from a waiting list and then screened for eligibility. The eligibility criteria are determined by their income and a criminal background check. If they pass the eligibility criteria, they are then issued a Housing Choice Voucher based on their household composition, given a detailed briefing and are given a Request for Tenancy Approval.

The advantages of the program is a guaranteed monthly rental payment and a yearly inspection. If a client’s income is reduced, then the HAP payments will increase to cover the tenant’s portion. We also provide the service of listing your units.

The receiving PHA has the authority to decide whether it will absorb an incoming portable family. Please contact the receiving PHA to find out if they can absorb your voucher if transferred. If you have any further questions or require clarification please feel free to contact your current HCV technician.

“Porting out” of EOHA

If you are currently a voucher holder with EOHA and would like to move to another jurisdiction, please contact your assigned Case Manager to determine if you are eligible to “port out”.  Your Case Manager will review your file and explain all of your tenant related requirements as it relates to porting out.

Once found eligible, your request to transfer your voucher to another housing authority must be submitted to EOHA in writing using the Request To Transfer form or your own letter which should include your name, current address, a current phone number, an e-mail address and the Public Housing Authority (PHA) you wish to transfer to.  Please be sure to research where you want to move, this will help ensure that you obtain the correct information regarding the PHA that is responsible for that jurisdiction.

NOTE: You will also be required to provide your current landlord with a Notice to Vacate your unit.  EOHA will not process your port out request until we receive a copy of this notice.  EOHA recommends giving your landlord a minimum of 60 days notice of vacating the current unit.


The Project-Based Voucher Program is a program that assists individuals and families in designated apartment buildings.   
What's the difference between a Project-Based Voucher and a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is a tenant-based voucher. With a tenant-based voucher, you can take it anywhere as long as the home you wish to rent accepts Section 8 and meets the standards of the Section 8 program.  
A Project-Based Voucher is attached to a particular unit at a specific property. If you live in a unit with a project-based voucher and you move, the Section 8 assistance stays with the property and the next tenant uses the voucher.





Applicant Information
You can check your status on the waiting list Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between
3:00 pm and 4:00 pm by calling 973-678-0250.

Hours of Operation
Monday: By appointment only
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30am-11:45am and 1:00pm-3:45pm

For Interims, Walkins, Appointments, Moving Papers and Landlord Walkins
Friday: By appointment only

Waiting list information is available upon request.
NOTE: We are CLOSED the last two days of each month.

Searching for a Home
Prior to searching for a home, voucher holders should review EOHA’s payment standards. EOHA’s occupancy standard is based on two persons per bedroom, regardless of age or sex.   Knowing the payment and occupancy standard will help guide your selection process.     

EOHA works in Landlords in the area to compile a list of apartments for rent to voucher holders. The EOHA does not assist with Security Deposits.  Click here to search for available rental properties.

Important Notes   
You must have a minimum of 30 days remaining on your voucher to port to City of East Orange
Before visiting or contacting EOHA, please allow our Portability Department to contact you via phone or mail.    
Please keep in mind that you will be required to comply with EOHA's policies and procedures.  EOHA’s policies will be reviewed in depth with you during your intake/briefing appointment.

Please contact Denise Milton, HCVP Manager


bottom of page