top of page
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. Is EOHA absorbing In-coming Portability Vouchers?

A. EOHA is currently billing for families that port into the City of East Orange, but has the discretion to absorb at any time.


 Q. Does EOHA assist with security deposits?

 A. No. Tenants are responsible for paying security deposits.


 Q. Can I move into the unit before the paperwork has been processed?

 A. EOHA does not advise nor suggest that you do so.  You must be determined eligible for the unit, the unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection, and the rent must be determined to be reasonable prior to you moving in.


Q. How much will I pay?

A. After the unit has passed inspection and the contract has been drafted, you will be mailed a "New Contract Rent Responsibility" letter from EOHA.  The family's portion of the rent will be included in this letter.


Q. How much is my voucher worth?

A. The HCV program is an income-based program and the amount of your housing assistance depends upon your income.  Once your paperwork is received and processed, you will receive a "Subsidy Estimation" form that will assist you with selecting an affordable unit. 


Q. Can I get an extension on my Voucher?

A. For incoming portability, the time stated on your voucher will be the same time issued by your initial Housing Authority.  Meaning, that the EOHA voucher will expire on the same date as indicated on the voucher from your initial Housing Authority.  For Outgoing Portability, voucher extensions must be submitted in writing and will only be approved under extenuating circumstances.


Q. How many bedrooms do I qualify for?

A. EOHA's occupancy standards are based on two persons per bedroom, regardless of age or sex.


Q. How long does it take for portability paperwork to be processed?

A. Please allow approximately 10-15 calendar days for us to receive all required documents and follow-up with your initial Housing Authority.  Upon receipt of your paperwork, your initial Housing Authority will receive a EOHA letter of acknowledgement.


Q. Can my paperwork be expedited due to my situation?

A. No.  Paperwork is processed in the order in which it is received.  If you require a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Portability Department.

Portability Process Info
If You're Moving Instructions

Apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program

Applicant Information
The Section 8 waiting list is closed.  We are not accepting applications at this time and do not anticipate re-opening the waiting list until the current waiting list of 4,000 families has been assisted.

Questions regarding the waiting list may be addressed on Fridays only from 9:00am to 3:00pm.

Hours of Operation
Monday: By appointment only
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30am-12pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm

For Interims, Walkins, Appointments, Moving Papers and Landlord Walkins
Friday: By appointment only

Waiting list information is available upon request.
NOTE: We are CLOSED the last two days of each month.

Searching for a Home
Prior to searching for a home, voucher holders should review EOHA’s payment standards. EOHA’s occupancy standard is based on two persons per bedroom, regardless of age or sex.   Knowing the payment and occupancy standard will help guide your selection process.     

EOHA works with Landlords in the area to compile a list of apartments for rent to voucher holders. The EOHA does not assist with Security Deposits.  Click here to search for available rental properties.

Important Notes   
You must have a minimum of 30 days remaining on your voucher to port to City of East Orange
Before visiting or contacting EOHA, please allow our Portability Department to contact you via phone or mail.    
Please keep in mind that you will be required to comply with EOHA's policies and procedures.  EOHA’s policies will be reviewed in depth with you during your intake/briefing appointment.



bottom of page