top of page

Portability is an option that eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) holders may utilize in order to move throughout the United States.  To assist with Portability transitions, the Housing Authority of the Cityof East Orange (EOHA) will cooperate with other Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) throughout the portability process.

Starting the “Porting In” process:
If you are a current voucher holder and you are interested in porting into the City of East Orange, you must request to exercise the Portability option from your current Housing Authority.  If found eligible to port, your Housing Authority must submit to the following paperwork to EOHA:

Portability Required Documents

  • Family Portability Information - Form HUD-52665

  • Voucher - Form HUD-52646 (issue date must not be a future date)

  • Family Report - Form HUD-50058 (Copy of the most recent)

  • Copies of income verification listed on Family Report such as:

  • 1) Earned Income Verification (EIV) Report (if available), and  2)Supporting Income  verifications matching the Family Report.

  • Family contact information, including a valid contact phone number and mailing address.  

The documents listed above may be sent sealed or secured to EOHA via mail or email to Denise Milton-Ingram at

*Please allow approximately 10-15 calendar days for us to receive all required documents and follow-up with your initial housing authority.
Upon receipt of your portability paperwork your initial housing authority will receive a EOHA letter of acknowledgment.  

NOTE: If your contact number and/or address changes after EOHA receives your paperwork you must submit your updated information by contacting Alicia Jackson at 973-678-0250, ext. 18. 

The Portability Briefing
Once EOHA receives the appropriate documents from the initial Housing Authority, EOHA staff will contact the voucher holder by mail to schedule a briefing - entrance interview.  All adult household members, age 18 or older, must attend.  The EOHA voucher, Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) and processing documents will be issued during the intake/briefing appointment. This process lasts approximately 2 1/2 hours.  You will be required to remain in the briefing for its entirety.  All required attendees MUST be on time for the briefing.  Be prepared to bring the following documents:  

  • Current valid photo identification    

  • Birth certificates for all household members 18 years of age and older    

  • INS documents for non-citizens    

  • Social Security cards for all household members    

  • Proof of household income and/or assets    

  • Proof of full-time student status for everyone 18 years of age and older    



Hours of Operation
Monday: By appointment only
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30am-11:45am and 1:00pm-3:45pm

For Interims, Walkins, Appointments, Moving Papers and Landlord Walkins
Friday: By appointment only

Waiting list information is available upon request.
NOTE: We are CLOSED the last two days of each month.

Searching for a Home
Prior to searching for a home, voucher holders should review EOHA’s payment standards. EOHA’s occupancy standard is based on two persons per bedroom, regardless of age or sex.   Knowing the payment and occupancy standard will help guide your selection process.     

EOHA works in Landlords in the area to compile a list of apartments for rent to voucher holders. The EOHA does not assist with Security Deposits.  Click here to search for available rental properties.

Important Notes   
You must have a minimum of 30 days remaining on your voucher to port to City of East Orange
Before visiting or contacting EOHA, please allow our Portability Department to contact you via phone or mail.    
Please keep in mind that you will be required to comply with EOHA's policies and procedures.  EOHA’s policies will be reviewed in depth with you during your intake/briefing appointment.

Please contact Denise Milton, HCVP Manager,


bottom of page